Wednesday, November 27, 2013

It's a blur, a whirl

School - I have somehow managed to maintain an A in Anatomy, but I still have the lab & lecture final to contend with.  The class has been frustrating, because the lecture section is all online - just Power Point slides.  The lab section is on campus.  This is the first semester it's been tried; my professor is a very educated woman but she's a biologist, not an anatomist and that shows sometimes, and we're all kind of guinea pigs.  I have taken to reading the lectures out loud into a voice recorder, which I can then listen to while driving.  It actually helps a lot.  I love the material, I love learning. I wish I could take a year-long anatomy course, or just a semester on musculature.  I'm registered for Microbiology in the spring and will probably take an Intro to PT and Rehab class as well, which I think will require me to enroll in one of the adapted kinesiology classes so I can work as an assistant.  I'm really looking forward to that, but it also means I'm getting perilously close to being a full-time student. 

Kids - P is literally failing at school.  So I have yet again asked the district to do a full assessment.  I have done *everything* that has ever been suggested and we are still at this point.  We have to figure out what the disconnect is between P's high intelligence/comprehension and his inability to complete class/homework.  We recently increased his dosage (it's hilarious to report that he now weighs 72 pounds, the skinny little monkey) and that has made a dramatic difference, but the underlying problem still exists.  I have filled out the assessment packet and will turn it in when the kids get back to school after the holiday.  I'm also going to look into finding a Jr. cross-country program for P to join.  His gross motor skills are

E is E.  Smart, able, lazy as all get-out.  He'll be fine, we just have to keep up the exhausting task of molding him into a less obnoxious/lazy version of himself.  He still mostly refuses to do homework, unless it's something he recognizes he needs to improve at.  And filling out a reading log?  Forget it!  He's obsessed with Pokemon right now and will talk about it ad infinitum if allowed.  I usually start talking about Anatomy in response, which is generally successful in repelling all talk of Megaroth or Leucadio, or whoever the heck his current favorite is.

Band - we're getting really good.  We played a set last night that just blistered.  Cindy says today her hand feels like she got in a slap fight with a plaster bust.  In a rare moment of cosmic convergence, we had a couple there to see us who have an internet radio show and who blog for the Long Beach Independent - and we played a GREAT set for them to see.  They've actually already played us on their show once, and will play us again after Thanksgiving.  I've said all along that my greatest goal was for us to get 1000 likes on Facebook, so I'm trying to stay pretty neutral about it all.  But it's genuinely nice to have people appreciate the work we've put in on this baby.

D is just quietly plugging along.  He's been working long hours, nights and occasional weekends on a pretty big project.  I've been trying to encourage him to come to the gym with me (I'm attacking it with a vengeance; I have two friends gently nagging me to do Tough Mudder with them in the spring), but so far no luck.  He stops riding his bike much in winter and he needs a physical outlet.  I'm looking at buying him some personal or group training as a Christmas present - is that too manipulative?  We're the sort of couple that thinks a new vacuum or a gym membership is an entirely appropriate gift, so I think it's OK.  It shows that I love him and don't want him to get diabetes, right?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Does he like rowing machines at all? I've always wanted an exercise bike that is also a generator.

colleeeen said...

He has a bike trainer that he could use in the living room. I'm mainly concerned that he has no motivation. I admit I have selfish, aesthetic reasons for wanting him to shed the excess abdominal insulation, but I really am genuinely concerned about the very clear connection between several serious diseases and an excess deposit of abdominal fat. Of course, I don't know enough the correlation/causation dispute, but I disregard that uncertainty because of my selfish aesthetic desires.